Sunday, January 22, 2012

Government in the Economy

Many say that our current economic times are a result of poor investment choices and an influx in government spending and I would have to agree with them. As our economy continues to worsen, it's up to our government to realize that they're digging a hole they won't be able to get out of. I believe that our government should have more control on our economy but less of an impact, whether it's through cutting government spending or raising taxes, I don't really care.
Lets begin with government spending, cause I mean seriously, it's getting ridiculous. $15 Trillion? What number even comes after trillion?! Government spending has gotten so ridiculous that I don't even know what I can say anymore. Something has got to give, sooner rather than later! The Senate and The House need to get their asses in gear and fix theses problems because it's in the process of killing our country financially. Get your act together and find something that we don't really need. I'm sure that there's a few things our government spends money on that isn't a necessity. My grandparents are so worried about the economy that they sent us a survival garden for Christmas so we'd be able to grow food for ourselves when the grocery stores close down. That shouldn't be happening! I'll admit that that's not likely to happen but the fact is that there are people in our country who are that scared. The government needs to get more control over what it spends. Especially in things like bailouts.
In my personal opinion, bailouts generally hurt more than they help. Things like bailouts are great in though but bad in practice. First, we all want to think that when our government give bailouts of millions and millions of dollars that the companies receiving this will put it to good use and try to revive their company and, in correlation, our economy. But alas this is all for naught. Instead they give bonuses to the executives and the like. The government should make stipulations on the money they lend. Second, to be honest there are just some companies that don't deserve the bailouts they get. Sure, some companies just fall on hard times because of the economy but others put themselves in that position by making very poor business decisions. Those companies don't deserve our hard earned tax money, it's like us bailing out Enron cause that would have been the most ridiculous decision! Have more control over where your money goes.
If you're not going to cut government spending, then raise taxes. Before the second Bush administration, as a nation we were actually lowering our national debt. Some predicted that at that current rate, our government would pay if it's national debts in 15-20 years? I have no problem with that! I completely understand that everyone hates taxes and that it kills you a bit inside when you have to fill out tax sheets but part of what we have to understand is that living in this country and having the security that we have wouldn't be able to happen without the government and the government wouldn't be able to happen without taxes. Sure the government has made a few decisions, like lowering taxes and then going to war with two countries but as a country we need to unite and fix our problems. Because in the end, we only have ourselves to blame. All our government officials didn't just appear overnight. As states we elect our Representative and as a nation we elect our president and we need to stand by their decisions because they are speaking for us. If asking a little more from everybody in taxes is what they ask then we should suck it up and do it. Even though that would require congress to agree on something which isn't likely to happen....

I will not write a conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment